School History

The People Journal reported on January 9, 1896, that "there is a movement on foot to build a new school house in Liberty" and by January of 1897, plans and specifications could be examined at Chapman & Callaham's store. 

The contract was awarded to a Mr. Bell, who was to begin work in February 1, 1897. The People Journal reported that Mr. Bell finished the new school on July 22, 1897. He constructed "fifty-two slightly modernized folding school desks" for the new school building, which was a two-story wood frame structure; the upper story was built by the Liberty Masons, who used it as a lodge hall.
From the State Superintendent's report in 1988, there were two teachers and 115 students and school was in session 8 months a year; in 1900, two teachers and 116 students.
About 1905, a new brick building was erected to replace the wooden building which was torn down. The teaching techniques at Liberty were decidedly changed. The new "graded" and fundamental high school attracted much attention and caused attendance to increase greatly. The first commencement in this new school was in 1906.
In 1911, the State Superintendent of Education reported that the school had 219 students, one male teacher and five female teachers. School lasted thirty-six weeks and the physical plant was worth twelve thousand dollars.
An increase in population and attendance in the elementary grades caused overcrowding and mandated additional construction. In consequence, the district voted school bonds to finance the four new classrooms added in 1920. Again, because of overcrowding, the district voted $11,500 in school bonds in 1925 and erected nine new classrooms. Around 1947, the school was inspected and was described as consisting of an excellent one-story separate building connected to the high school by a covered and enclosed brick walkway to the domestic science area, library and agriculture rooms. A gymnasium was added to this building in 1957.
The eleventh grade was added in 1922, and twelfth grade was added in 1948.
In 1967, the original high school building was torn down and a new school was built. An auditorium was added in 1970 and dedicated to the memory of former principal, George Philip Crotwell, who served as principal of the high school from 1955 - 1967.
A new, modern athletic stadium was constructed near the Liberty Elementary School in the spring of 1962. An estimated cost of $22,000 was needed to complete the project. 

In 1985, a new senior high school was constructed at 319 Summit Drive. Dedication and Open House of the new school was September 15, 1985 at 3:00 p.m. The former high school was designated as Liberty Middle School beginning with the 1985-86 school year.

In 2012 Liberty High School moved to yet another new campus at 124 Red Devil Drive (off of Ruhamah Road). The old Summit Drive location was renovated as Liberty Middlle School.

Current Liberty School Building

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2018 West Corporation. All rights reserved.